Selected web projects
A polymer distribution company based in the UAE wanted a new website to enhance their online presence.
John MacDonald’s travel blog
A simple, and humorous, travel blog developed for a journalist travelling around the world by container ship.
A South African artist approached me to develop a site to highlight some of his work for potential international clients.
Jon & Amy’s Wedding Photos
A site I created specifically for sharing and distributing the professional photographs and videos taken on my wedding day.
Beyond the Big Day
A general blogging site for a client wanting to share wedding planning and ideas.
Hair by Nermine
A mobile hairdresser client wanted a very simple site to advertise her services and prices.
Head of DigitalInforma Ltd.
Responsible for bringing marketing analytics, content production and digital disciplines together to deliver tangible value.
Strategy and Planning
• Developed and delivered integrated digital strategy for Datamonitor business unit
• Owned and redesigned a complex B2B content subscription platform to offer a segmented pricing model, achieving a 20% increase in subscription revenue
• Directed the digital transformation of content, including launching over 50 client-facing data visualisation products (Tableau/Infographics) and other interactive content delivery solutions
• Coordinated product, customer and market research to develop a set of deliverables, e.g. customer personas, that formed the base for a digital strategy
• Devised and launched social media strategy including planning and rolling out a global content delivery programme via Twitter and LinkedIn
• Developed and executed online marketing plan including Adwords and LinkedIn PPC programmes, achieving a 25% increase in leads and a 15% increase in revenue
• Managed relationships with external digital and research agencies
• Oversaw creation of digital-only marketing collateral including white papers and opinion content
• Managed an editorial and production team to prepare and edit over 500 pieces of web content
• Controlled £100K digital budget for staff and external agency cost
Digital Project management
• Owned Datamonitor digital properties, including marketing and subscriber-only content websites
• Managed over a dozen on- and offline projects using both traditional and agile development methods
• Led business liaison, coordinating with designers and developers and managing the product queue
Practice Leader, UK Financial ServicesDatamonitor Group
• Oversaw UK financial services analyst team, including retail banking, insurance and pensions practices
• Authored and presented compelling, original market insight to staff, clients and the media
• Planned future direction of content, controlling research budget and shaping stakeholder interests
• Managed a team of 12 senior and lead analysts and a £500K research budget
Lead Analyst, Retail BankingDatamonitor Group
• Fully accountable for delivering syndicated retail banking content via a subscriber-only online portal
• Scoped and developed research strategy and content to attract new markets and new clients
• Promoted retail banking thought leadership through marketing and PR channels
• Project managed syndicated research for subscriber clients and for single copy sale
• Led research and analysis support on sales visits and client calls
• Managed local and remote research and analyst teams
Independent Web Consultantjonathan-macdonald.com
• Produced and delivered over 10 corporate and professional blogging websites for private clients
• Industries worked with included manufacturing, management consulting and non-profit organisations
• Configured and maintained 4 LAMP webservers with multiple redundancy, intrusion-detection and security enhancements to ensure 99.5% uptime
Chief Business Development OfficerMagrudy Enterprises, Dubai, UAE
• Revenue and budget responsibility for marketing, franchising and wholesale divisions
• Developed and implemented revised digital strategy, including website redevelopment, online loyalty system, and preparation for ecommerce platform launch
• Represented the company in all media and PR-related activity
• Responsible for a team of 40 staff
Senior Research ManagerCorporate Executive Board
• Authored and project-managed over 150 bespoke research deliverables for C-suite financial services executives
• Oversaw local and remote research teams
Bachelor of CommerceUniversity of KwaZulu-Natal
Business Information Systems, Information Systems & Technology, Economics, Finance.
I worked on several cross-division projects with Jonathan at Datamonitor and found his professional knowledge and experience to be absolutely first class. He is particularly adept at leveraging limited resources to find creative solutions to problems. Jonathan's understanding of the needs of businesses to adapt to the new digital world is profound and this insight is a great asset to his employer. I always enjoy working with him and I hope others will have the privilege.Neil Atkinson, Director, Informa Ltd.